Friday, October 23, 2009

Bionic Bob

Well. Bob had surgery on Wednesday to place a cochlear implant. We are very hopeful that this will help Bob's interaction with others as his vision gets worse. We won't know about the success of the implant for a month - they don't active it for a month due to swelling from the surgical procedure. Right now he is dealing with sore muscles, swelling, staples and diminished hearing (the implant destroys all remaining hearing in that ear). He is frustrated and tired, but doing well. Fingers crossed.

Knitting news includes casting on the second of my brother's socks, getting down to the last few inches of Bob's sweater sleeve, knitting on scarves and avoiding putting the elemental boatneck together. I've really been concentrating on work and then Bob's surgery. Maybe this weekend ....

The other thing that had me distracted this week was that my mother had a biopsy and removal of a growth on her leg the day before DH's surgery. I wanted to be with both of them and couldn't. Mom's surgery went well. She did have squamous cell carcinoma, but they had good clean margins and so she should not need more surgery. Thank goodness.

I hope to have more to post about in the next day or two and enough energy to take photos and provide more details. I'm tired and heading to bed. I might just cuddle up in bed with my new audiobook. Diana Gabaldon is one of my all time favorite authors and her newest book has just come out. Today I received my copy of the audiobook version of that book and I can't wait to get started on it. It's raining outside and chilly - a perfect night to stay indoors and knit and listen to a great story.

No comments: