Saturday, February 06, 2010

S.N.O.W.


We had SNOW! I don't have an official total but nearly 2 feet. That's a heck of a lot of snow for Maryland. It's probably more like a flurry for some parts of the country/world, but for us, it's a lot. Bob was out clearing snow with the shovel and snow blower for hours and isn't finished yet. He did get the driveway clear enough for us to get out tonight with the 4WD vehicle so that he could get his fountain drink. He loves fountain drinks rather than canned soda but he also loves getting out. Period. Going anywhere. He's one of those people who can't stand not being able to go somewhere, even if there's not place or reason to go. We went. It is so pretty out there.

Here is a view of our back deck. You can see the barbecue cover and the 30 something inch railing and how close to that the snow is.











The birds came to eat under the table on the deck. You can see how oddly the snow drifted in that area. The birds had a bowl to eat out of.








There are drifts of snow everywhere, making sculptures in unexpected places. This is the edge of the roof of the new deck with an overhang of snow. How does that stay there?











This overhang is on the house roof.








Our house. You can see the overhang (from the previous picture) just over the window to the left of the front door


There are 2 cars under all that snow


DH hard at work











There are huge piles of snow everywhere. There are a lot of people making a lot of money this weekend. We'd be lost without them, but I wish they would get comp time instead of over time. Maybe the rest of us (state employees) wouldn't have to get more furlough days in that case.

Lots of knitting happened today. The summer shell version of the Mondo Cable pattern grew by leaps and bounds this weekend. There are no sleeves, so that fact that I am almost half way down the body means that I am almost halfway finished!

The KAL sweater is longer, too.

The purple sunshine sock is only about an inch of pattern and toe decreases from being finished. I'd like to finish that sock tomorrow and cast on for the next pair (for DH).

Tomorrow is Superbowl Sunday. I normally look forward to that game but this year I have no team to cheer for. I suppose I'll watch it, but I think I will be paying more attention to my knitting than to the game. DH will be recovering form spending more hours clearing snow. I am still limited in my activities and so won't be able to help, though I wish I could.

The Olympics start next week. Are any of you planning to do a Knitting Olympics Challenge? I haven't settled on a plan yet. I am thinking about it, though. Hopefully I will come up with an idea soon.


1 comment:

Angela said...

Wow Linda - your mondo pulli is really coming along - FAST! How did you manage to get out yesterday - was your neighborhood plowed? We have cleared our driveway but we still have 2+ feet of snow in the street.

Glad you are enjoying your knitting time!