Friday, December 19, 2008

How many days until Christmas?

Well, I haven't been here lately but I have been busy.

Most of our holiday shopping is done but there are still a few things to pick up and I am not quite sure when that is going to happen. We host Christmas Eve at our house and have food shopping and prep to do, though our friends, as always, have offered to help. I got the gifts that we have purchased wrapped tonight. I enjoy doing that, but by the time I finish my back is usually aching. Well, it's only once a year.

We visited my Mom last weekend in NY. We also visited with my brother after he had surgery on his cervical spine to replace some discs and fuse a couple of vertebrae. Another brother had a holiday party and the timing worked out for us to be able to attend that as well. He played Santa for the kids that were there.










We exchanged gifts with Mom and she seemed happy with her gifts. She got me a pair of gold earrings, which was just what I wanted. We toned down the buying this year and I personally am very happy about it. I am not religious at all anymore (despite 12 years of Catholic education) but I do try to make this a season of thinking of others and giving. It just doesn't all have to be giving things. Time is very often more important. I plan to make more time for my Mom - she seems to be missing me more these days. It's a 4 hour drive each way and I can manage that once every 6 weeks or so I think.



I have been knitting, also. I have just one thumb to knit on my last pair of Fetching mitts. I have about 3/4 of a pair of ribbed fingerless mitts (another gift) to finish up. Those were started last weekend and I completed one in less than a day but then worked on other things. I am making Wavy with the same yarn that I used for my hat. (photo over the weekend, I hope). I am very happy with how my lace ribbon scarf is progressing.






Brian's vest is bound off at the bottom ribbing, and one sleeve opening has been edged. One more and the neck, a few ends to weave in (I have been doing a few at a time) and it will be ready to block and wear. Yippee!

I am going to sign off now and knit a few more rows. DH has been down in southern Maryland fishing (yes, in December) and I hope he will be home soon. I will try to stay awake until then. I seem to not be able to get enough sleep lately.

No comments: