Tuesday, May 27, 2008

It's Monday....but it's Tuesday

I love that this will be a short week but I was a little confused all day today.

I spent a lot of time this last weekend thinking about my father and FIL who were both in the armed forces. I spent a lot of time thinking about those who serve now. There's loneliness on both ends - family and service personnel. Certainly communication is better now - no one has to wait for 6 months to get a letter - but that's just not the same thing as being together. As for safety - that's not much improved since the days our parents served. The danger today's soldiers face just comes in different forms. There are still hardships on both ends, too. Lack of familiar things far away and lack of the ease of two parent households on this end.  Thanks to all who serve.

I had a great weekend. We did not get to go on the boat (winds 15-20 knots with gusts to 25) but got stuff done and had fun, too. Boat improvements happened. Walking happened. All 3 days. Laundry, yard work happened. Best of all, spinning and knitting happened. Yippee!


This fiber

became these singles



Those singles became this yarn


I am not happy with the way it turned out but that is not the fault of the fiber or the dye artist. I should have Navaho plied this, I think, to maintain the color sequence. I had decided to try something different and split the roving length wise, spin each section and then 3 ply it. At any given time, though, only 2 of the singles color sections coincided. Oh, well. Maybe someone else will appreciate it.

After the plying was done I went back to spinning this yummy wool/silk blend

Into this



I started spinning this fiber 1.5 years ago, after my first trip to Rhinebeck, which is where I purchased it. Some day it will be a shawl. It is very soft and I want to just cuddle up in it. I love the colors, too - mostly purple but with a lot of dark grey and even some teal, though that doesn't come through much.



My drop spindle was busy this weekend, too.

I picked up this beautiful fiber at MD sheep and wool.

Cables and Os sleeves are getting longer. I didn't take another photo - it looks just like the body with gradual increases. I did take a photo of the increasing number of hexagons for the Swirl Shawl.
















Last but not least, we have some beautiful peony blossoms for your viewing pleasure.


Tomorrow we'll have bird stories. 'Bye.

No comments: