Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Flowers and trees and shrubs, Oh my!



This is one of my mom's orchids that she has been cultivating. She started with an inexpensive one from Home Depot a while ago (so that if she killed it she wouldn't be wasting much money). Then she got another. When she came to MD for the flower show she picked up 2 more. This is one of them. To say they are thriving is an understatement. I wish I had her green thumb. Unfortunately that's not one of the body parts I inherited from her.



This is a lilac that I photographed at the Bayard Cutting Arboretum in NY. I love the scent of these flowers. I am determined to get one for myself this year.














A profusion of pink flowers

















Knees. These are tree knees. They belong to some sort of cypress and they are really called knees. I think they look like a prairie dog family (extended family to be sure)













This looks to me like Ma and Pa tree knee leaning comfortably on each other.













Moving on to knitting content, I am test knitting a sock for a designer. The yarn is Trekking XXL. I really like the pattern and think it will make a wonderful sock design. I struggled to get the correct gauge and fit but it seems to be working now. Here's what I had completed as of Sunday afternoon. I've made progress since but didn't have time to get a photo.
















I have about 2 more inches to go on the back of the Cables and Os cardigan. I have already started ribbing for the sleeves - I am knitting them at the same time on one needle. I swatched for DH's cotton sweater. I did 2 gauge swatches - I assigned the design to DH. He's a computer person so I suggested that he play around with one of his programs and come up with the stripe sequence that he wants for the chest area. He liked that idea.

Time to do my back exercises and get to bed. One of the things I really enjoyed about vacation was not having to get up at 5:30 AM. sigh. I really need to win that lottery.

1 comment:

Karen Frisa said...

Hmm, I think there is something creepy about those knees.