Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Almost there

Vacation is close! I have one more day to work. I could have taken this whole week, but it will be good to get in the office and take care of a few last minute details that came up over the holiday weekend.

I have been loving spinning my Grafton batt into a nice deep blue (mostly) laceweight yarn (above) and I started spinning one of the September study group fibers. Yak is a lovely, soft, you just want to curl up in a nest of it fiber that is not as easy to spin as it is to fondle. ; ) The staple length is short, about 1 inch on my fiber, and that makes it a challenge for me to spin. I am using my akha spindle (finally cleared of the lumpy, bumpy but it's my first handspun  cotton I spun for my TdF challenge) and I think it is working well. The spindle is feather light and I can use it as a drop spindle or spin horizontally, holding and twisting the spindle in my hand until I have some twist in the fiber. Then I can use the drop spindle method to add more twist. I have been using both methods, trying to see which works better for me. It's a fun challenge and the yak and spindle will be joining me in Montauk for vacation spinning.

The Leaf and Picot Cardigan is nearing completion. I know I've said that before, but really! I have sewn in one sleeve and sewn the sleeve closed. I have just started to sew in the other sleeve. The sleeve that is sewn in actually fits! I have one sleeve to insert, then both sweater side seams and one more sleeve seam to go. I can see the finish line .....

I really don't have enough projects on the needles. I am sure I don't. That is why I swatched for a new sweater. This one will be for eldest son and I am trying my own design. Hopefully it will work. (gulp) I have chosen ( with eldest sons input) two cables, to be placed on the left side of the chest and towards the center. The rest of the sweater, a pullover, will be stockinette. We plan on an inch or so of ribbing at the bottom and sleeves and a roll collar neckline. The yarn is Louet Riverstone worsted in Champagne. I think it will be a good vacation knit, being worsted weight and mostly stockinette. We eat in a lot of dim places and spend a lot of time in the expedition (named Elvira) in less than ideal lighting. I have a lace project for when concentration and good lighting is desirable and available.

It is a rainy day here in Maryland, but I am thankful that it is not worse, and that the liklihood of Katia visiting Montauk is lessening. Not gone, but lessening. ; )

1 comment:

EGunn said...

Yay for vacation! Sounds like you're ready to make the most of it, too. I've always thought it would be fun to try spinning Yak, but have never done anything with that short a staple. I'll have to give it a go someday for just that reason. (But maybe not until after experimenting a little with cotton to get a feel for short fibers...)