Sunday, June 06, 2010

Spin City in Bel Air

I've been spinning like crazy lately and have actual yarn to show for it! On the left is the three ply (about 150 yards) I made with the Targhee I've been spinning, and on the right is the two ply (about 50 yards) I made with the remaining singles once one bobbin was empty. The 3 ply is a little over-twisted - I'll have to work on that. It's soft and lofty and wonderful to touch.










I also plied up and washed some blue yarn that I finished spinning a few weeks ago. I don't know what kind of wool it is, but it's about 240 yards of a two ply.









On my wheel I am currently spinning the Rambouillet that I started last week - I have just under half of it spun, I think.



I am still spinning the llama top on my small spindles (almost finished) and have plied the silver grey yarn I dyed last summer. It's a 3 ply but has not yet been washed, so no photos yet. I had intended to spin it into a lace weight but the color wasn't what I expected. It will be used as an accent for something ....

The next thing for the spindle is some Wensleydale from the Spunky Eclectic fiber club. The color is Perfect Storm and fits into the challenge for the Spindlers group on Ravelry - the theme is "elements" and I think the Perfect Storm fits into the elements category very well. This fiber is so different from what I have just finished spinning and plying and also from what is on my wheel. It has a long staple length and smooth, heavy hand, feels very lustrous. I tried to plan out what I would do with it - there's not much elasticity and it's a little coarse for against the skin. I thought that I might make a cabled yarn (another new thing I learned from Maggie Casey) , plying each singles of the Wendsleydale with a ply of black merino and then cabling them. It should look great, but I don't know if that combo of breed fibers will work. I have posted questions on Ravelry for more info. The fibers may be too different to be plied together. As you can see, I've just started spinning this fiber.


I've joined the Tour de Fleece on Ravelry. I have already been spinning almost every day, so "training" is already in progress. LOL. Anything that keeps me spinning is good.

I've been knitting, too. The Slinky Ribs is knitted from the middle of the body up, over the back and shoulders and down the front to the mid-point. I have completed the upper back, shoulders and most of the front. I am almost ready to join the front and back and knit in the round for the lower body.

The V neck Cardigan is moving along, too. I put it on waste yarn to be sure that the fit was right, and it feels right. That's a good sign. I have not yet put the arms on holders but should be there soon.

The garden is growing (so are the weeds) and I try to get out there to weed every couple of days. It was so wet yesterday after our rain the day before that I couldn't get far. At least we didn't have to water ...




No comments: