Tuesday, June 02, 2009

The deck is becoming whole again

DH and eldest son have taken my fear of heights to heart and worked quickly to complete at least a railing around the deck so that I can walk out there with less fear, if not no fear. There is, at least, a frame around the edges even though it's not filled in. Thanks, guys.

The weekend was wonderful. I got quite a lot of knitting done on Sunday. Monday wasn't bad, either. I was able to knit a few more rows on the Cardi Cozy last night, but a headache got the best of me before I could knit 2 rows on Laminaria or even do some Clapotis knitting. Bummer.

Tonight's goal is to knit 2 rows on Laminaria, pack (more on that in a minute) and bind off the travel sock and cast on the second one. I need something small that I can walk around with this weekend. There are other socks I would like to knit - I would like to start a sock from Cookie A's new book and/or a sock from Cat Bordi's book and I would also like to cast on the second Tilt sock. I test knit the first Tilt sock many moons ago, then didn't do the mate to it right away because I had some other deadline to get to. I still haven't started it, though, and I would like to. But, a travel sock requirement is simplicity and not needing a pattern. None of the socks I mentioned fall into that category, so this weekend it will be toe up stockinette. I love the colors of the travel sock, so I will not be too disappointed to knit it.

Packing - DH and I are going to Montauk, NY to spend 4 days at Hither Hills campsite. We are towing our boat with us (which will make the drive take longer) so that DH can go fish wherever and whenever he wants. I think he feels about fishing the way I feel about knitting, so I understand. The good part of that is that we can be together and each do our own thing. Life is great. I am really looking forward to this trip and the time at the beach and on the water. There is yarn store in Montauk (a very nice, one - Purl by the Sea) but I won't go there this visit unless I need a needle or some tool. I think I have purchased enough yarn for a while. I can't believe I just wrote that, but that's how I feel. Not that I will tell DH that - he won't forget it and then if a crazy urge should come upon me in a month or two, he'll remind me ...

We will be tent camping. We haven't done that in several years. We did buy a queen size air mattress (with car powered pump. No, I am not getting my exercise by hand filling it, thank you) so we will not be sleeping on the ground, but it's been a long time since we've camped. Actually, the last few times we stayed there (in the campground) we rented a pop up camper. The last few times we went to Montauk for vacation, we stayed in a hotel. This time we are going basic, though we will have the necessities along. Tent. Air mattress. Sling chairs to sit on. Diet Dr. Pepper and chocolate, maybe some wine. And knitting. ; )
I plan to bring Bob's white sweater and hopefully get at least half a sleeve done. I will bring the travel sock, Clapotis, and I am not sure what else. We'll see what jumps into my bag tomorrow.

No comments: