Monday, March 30, 2009

I have a sore foot

I have gotten a lot of knitting accomplished lately - I had surgery on my foot and was bed or recliner chair bound for about a week. The surgery went well.  I just didn't realize how sore my foot would be from having the bone scraped like that. Enough with the foot thing. On to knitting.

While I have been at home I have worked on DH's white cotton sweater quite a bit.
When you are on pain medicine, simple knitting is the best policy. LOL. It is time to measure, but I think I am only a couple inches away from beginning the ribbing length.

When my hands couldn't handle more cotton knitting, I moved on to my Domy Heather grey striped vest.

I am 2/3 of the way across the back and it is just about time to add a few stitches for the shoulder (for the back neck shaping). Please excuse the upside down photo - crawling on the floor hurts the foot and I wasn't thinking (apparently). 

I started a stockinette sock just before my surgery and I have completed the foot and heel, have turned the heel and I am doing the gusset decreases now.
I love this yarn and I don't know what it is. I found it in my stash, I think it might be Araucania Ranco but I am not sure. The colors are deep brown, blue, green a some beige to lighten things up, and I love how the the sock looks. I tried a texture but it didn't enhance the yarn and the pattern was too hard to see so I frogged back (the day of surgery) to the beginning of the texture (toe up socks) and continued with stockinette. I am very happy.

Once I was not taking as much pain medicine I pulled out the Honka scarf and did some double knitting.

I am moving much faster now that I have completed one pattern repeat and have some experience with the double knitting process. I like this project, but I can only knit on it while at home, I think. I need to count and concentrate so I don't have to frog.

I got out for the first time since surgery and went to the Needle Exchange at my LYS last Thursday. I had a great time catching up with everyone. There were some gorgeous new yarns to drool over and I did that. They were served to me as I sat enthroned on the bench, keeping my foot elevated as ordered. I wanted to take some home with me but just couldn't think of a pattern I could use for the yarn I fell most in love with. They colors were deep, glowing jewel tones and the yarn was merino, silk and bamboo.  It was too pricey to take home "just because", so I left it there - for now. I did come home with some Cascade Sierra in a light blue and a darker blue to make the cover sweater of Knitters I really like how it looks with the less severe contrast of blues and I think I will get a lot of use out of this sweater.


Yes, of course I started it right away despite the multiple projects on my needles. I was weak. Blame the drugs. Or the pain. Or whatever. It's pretty, don't you think?



I hope to complete the I-cord edging on my seed stitch vest (yes, from a the fall. I was bad) before I go back to work next week. I also hope to complete knitting the body of DH's sweater and at least start an arm. 

I can do lace knitting again! Karen was able to save my Laminaria shawl and so that is back in the project line up. I think I might wait until I am narcotic-free before knitting on that, though. Sometimes I actually use my brain. LOL.

I have been limiting my time sitting upright or standing as much as possible so I can keep my foot elevated as ordered. The phrase was "toes as high as the nose" and I am trying to be a good patient. (Not to mention that it helps with the pain control.) It limits my computer time (I do not have a laptop) and my spinning time and that's tough now that I feel better. I do hope to do some spinning later this week though. I miss it and hope that I can do short periods of spinning, at least. Tomorrow I go to get sutures removed and I hope that will help with some of the discomfort.

Have a good day, all.

No comments: