Friday, October 24, 2008


Karen and I made the trek to Rhinebeck this year - probably the last time we'll go. The drive went smoothly and it took about the "advertised" length of time to get there (as compared to the last trip, which was longer that it should have been by 2 hours or so).
We checked in, got changed and headed out to find the great steak place we ate in last time (2 years ago). We found it easily, and since we were there so early, there was no wait. After dinner we went back to the room and knitted the evening away.

The next morning, since we really wanted to get a Rhinebeck T or sweatshirt, we arrived as the gates opened. This was no easy task, given Karen's feelings about being up and about before noon, but we did it. It was much more crowded that we expected.

We were not pleased with the choices in that booth, however, and so left there empty handed. We headed to the back to theMayan Hands
booth because we remembered from the last trip that were were very happy with the products they sold there: linens and baskets made by Mayan women.

We did a lot of damage to our back accounts there. See the little fuzzy animals on the table? That's about the only thing I resisted. LOL.

It was cooold in Rhinebeck - the car windows were covered with frost each morning, and we wore jackets, gloves, hats and scarves. It is awesome that this festival takes place at a time of year when wearing (and buying) wool things is fitting (and necessary). It is wonderful inspiration and I came home wanting to knit everything in sight.

We saw sheep, llamas, alpacas and bunnies.

On Sunday we saw the Fleece to Shawl contestants. The costumes and projects were great. I wish I could have gotten good photos of all of them, but here is a sampling:

We had books signed by a couple of our favorite authors. This is Karen with Franklin author/artist of "It itches".

This is, of course, the Yarn Harlot with both of us. A wonderful souvenir of our trip to Rhinebeck.

We ate and fondled and petted and drooled. We rested our weary feet at a table in the food area, which was populated by famous bloggers and designers and everyday knitters. The sights were amazing, and I think I could have been happy just sitting still and watching the people and their knitting go by. Well, almost. I did have to look at what the yarn and fiber vendors were offering, didn't I? It was the least I could do. giggle. I actually kept my fiber purchases quite reasonable. I wanted yarn and fiber - there were a lot of yummy fibery things that were beautiful, soft, lovely, etc. but I waited until something really called to me before I considered bringing it home with me. I can't even tell you exactly why it called, but it did. I purchased fiber - iceland wool blends in a deep charcoal grey (4 oz) and a lighter, two tone grey (2 oz.) from Frelsi Farm

I purchased a spindle - I had hoped to get another one so that I could have two spindles to ply off of rather than have to wind the singles onto a temporary holder. It's another square one. I tried a few others but this one did the trick.

I also purchased some llama fiber from Rhodie Hill, shown here with my new spindle nestled comfortably in it's fibery softness.

My sole yarn purchase was from Sliver Moon. I had seen a sweater I liked in another booth but the color choices didn't thrill me. Just next door I found yarn that I couldn't resist. It wants to be a cardigan, mostly stockinette but with a nice wide lace bottom edging, and probably 3/4 sleeves. I love the color, it's nice and soft, and it's worsted weight. A lot of my projects lately (except Bob's sweater) have been with finer yarn than that, so this will be a nice change.

At the Mayan Hands booth I bought presents for others

and something for me.

I loved this little bag so much, I went back the next day and got another one in a different color. The colors, patterns, little zipper compartments, and the size (big enough for a sock project but not too big or heavy) sold me. I used mine the rest of the weekend and a few times since.

We headed home at about 2 or 2:30 on Sunday, had a pretty smooth trip, and got home before 8PM. It was a good way to spend a weekend. ; )

No comments: