Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Crooked Cupcakes



I decided that for DHs birthday, I would make an extra effort and bake from scratch. I always use mixes. The 2 times in the past that I baked from scratch, no one liked what I baked. This time, though, I was a) more experienced and b) would read and pay attention to the instructions in minute, excruciating detail. I even read my MILs old cookbook - did you know that there are correct ways and incorrect ways to measure the ingredients? I didn't. Now I do. For all the good it did me.

I assembled the ingredients ahead of time as instructed. (I never do that - I get things out, measure, add and put the ingredients away as I go). I used a pouring measuring cup for the liquids and the separate measuring cups and spoons for the solids. I measured over the sink, not over the bowl, so the extra drops/particles would not overflow into the bowl with a resulting increase of whatever in the mixture. I sifted the flour. 3 times. I mixed the ingredients in the order I was supposed to mix them. And this is what I got.



Poor Bob. He was a good sport about the whole thing but I felt terrible. It turns out that the recipe forgot to include eggs. Totally not my fault. Will I bake from scratch again? Not any time soon.

No comments: