Tuesday, December 18, 2012

We have a plan

At least we have a start. There are some decisions that have not been made because they depend on how the treatments go.

I will have a lymph node biopsy just after Christmas and begin chemotherapy right after the new year. I have 2 months of every other week chemo with 2 drugs given together, then 2 additional months getting a 3rd drug every 2 weeks. The response of the tumor will be monitored by ultrasound. At the end of the chemo additional testing will be done on the size and placement of the tumor. The lymph nodes will also be evaluated again and a decision will be made regarding surgery - either lumpectomy with breast and lymph node radiation or mastectomy with lymph node radiation. 6 weeks of radiation and I will be finished with this nasty stuff.

It's not the kind of thing to look forward to but I am anxious for treatment to get started. It won't be a fun year but I can do it. I have a wonderful family and lots of support from friends.

I debated about posting about my cancer here, but it and fighting it will be so much a part of my life for almost a year that I couldn't see leaving it out. I plan to have lots of knitting and spinning input here as well so don't be worried that this blog will be all about illness. It won't be. Knitting and spinning may well save what sanity I have.  ;-)

Happy holidays to all.

2 comments:

Lorette said...

I'm just reading about this today. I don't comment on blogs as often as I'd like to, but I do read your blog regularly. My thoughts are with you, it sounds like you have a whole army of cheerleaders standing behind you.

EGunn said...

Well, a start is a start. I've always found it easier to face things with a plan of attack. For what it's worth, I know many, many women who have gone through this and come out just fine. My thoughts will be with you.