Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Progress on the fiber front


I have been spinning and knitting every day. I am very happy about that – I missed spinning. I have been doing spindle spinning because my back has been giving me problems since we hit a big wave while on vacation, and sitting at the wheel for any periods of time is not good. I’ve been working on the Wendsleydale and the silk, both fine singles but very different from each other, and enjoying them both. I can’t wait to start plying the Wensleydale plain with the Perfect Storm singles. I am anxious to see if my vision looks as good in real life as it does in my head. The silk is gorgeous and I have no idea what I will knit with it yet. I am enjoying the process of spinning it and that is enough for now.

The sweater that I ripped and had to re-knit is at the arms again. I was right – it was better to rip and re-knit. Since I am knitting both left and right sections at once, when I bind off at the top edge, I’ll have half the sweater completed. ; )) It makes great football watching knitting, BTW.

The trade socks – boyfriend vampire socks from Knitty.com – are going on their way today to Molly for a fitting session. The designer warns that the stitch pattern is not very stretchy and I want to be sure that they will fit over Molly’s heel before I complete the pair. I finished the heel turn and gusset last night and if they fit now, I should be good to go. If not, it’s not so much progress that I will hate myself for having to rip.

As a result of those being out of the knitting line up, I should be able to finish the Mata Hari socks soon. That sock is in the process of having the heel flap knitted, so there’s not much more than leg to go. This is the second sock, so I’ll have a pair done. I have one or tow (or possibly more) single socks in the bin that need completion, so I’ll do that next, I think.

I hope to get back to lace knitting soon. Before vacation and Mom’s surgery I had picked up a lace shawl to knit on for the first time in a few months. I’d like to get back to that soon, assuming that things go well with Mom. She is due to have another CT scan of her head this week and then gets a progress report later this week from the neurosurgeon.

I will be going away for 2 days in October for a spinning retreat. I think I will really enjoy the time away from everyone, though I will be in touch via cell phone. It’s a beautiful campus and an entire weekend dedicated to spinning sounds great. Of course, I can knit instead if I want, and I may need to do that part of the time since I am not in good conditioning for 2 solid days of spinning. I’ll bring my camera and spend some time wandering campus and taking pictures in addition to the fiber activities. Getting up and moving around helps to digest all of those goodies that we bring to munch on. It takes more vigorous activity to work off the calories, though.


I hope to get some pictures of my WIPs this weekend, and to post more of my photos from vacation (not that I took all that many this year, but it's my favorite place and I like to share).


Try not to get too wet if you live on the East coast - it's gonna be a heck of a rainstorm.

No comments: