Thursday, December 17, 2009

I'm a bad blogger

Life has kept me busy, but that's good, right? I had a post partly written but forgot to post it so I am deleting that one and just summarizing here.



My mother is flying down from New York to spend a week with us at Christmas. I am really looking forward to spending time with her and using her visit as a push to visit some of the places and do some of the things I've been meaning to get to and just haven't. We have a lot of re-arranging to do to make room for her so the weekend will be busy but the work will be worth it.



The He Gansey is almost back where it was a few weeks ago. The back is complete and the front has been started (from the arm hole up - it's knit in the round below that). No new pictures. It looks the same.



The Sunshine sock is about an inch longer than it was but it's been cold here or rainy so I haven't been able to do as much knitting while walking as I usually do. I can't knit with gloves on. Yet.



The 198 yards of heaven scarf I started 2 weeks ago is complete but not blocked. I just can't find the time to do that. Maybe this weekend, but it will be hard. I love it - so soft and cuddly.



I have started on the re-knit of eldest son's earflap hat using needles 2 sizes smaller than before. I hope this makes it fit better and also makes it warmer. I cast on last night after frogging the earlier version and am almost halfway through the chart for the colorwork. I have been swatching for younger son's earflap hat and I like the fabric I get with the yarn (Frog Tree alpaca sport) and size 2 needles. That hat will take longer to knit but I am pleased with the pattern, colors and fabric I am getting so it will be worth it. Once the colorwork is done, the rest will be good TV knitting and I love knitting with alpaca.



I have been pretty faithful to these projects recently - not flitting all over with 5 or more projects in the works. I like the way they progress faster but I am not bored knitting on only 1 project at a time. During Mom's visit I should be able to finish my sock and start the second of the pair. I'd like to finish the body of the sweater and pick up for the sleeves, too, depending on how out and about we are. If I need a project requiring less concentration I may pick up the afghan I have been knitting part time (mostly on the boat) for eldest son.



No spinning progress to report - the wheel has been stuck in the corner and will probably be put away for the holiday to make room.



Christmas preparations are in the works. We have to find time together (DH and I) to get outside to aim the spot lights at the house to show off the red bows at each window. The tree is up in the living room but not yet decorated. I thought I would do lights last night but felt too lazy. I plan to get up at a decent hour on Saturday and play holiday music while I light up the tree. Maybe I can get DH to make breakfast for me to make the morning more special. ; ))

The gifts are in boxes but need paper and/or ribbon to go under the tree. Most of the shopping is complete and I am please with most of our choices. Some people are just so hard to buy for. I spoke with eldest son last night about baking cookies. He is still home (no work) so he has more time to bake and he is a good baker. That's one thing less for me to tend to. ; )



Work has been busy this week, which is also good. I like being busy enough that I am not looking at the clock all day wondering when I can go home and I like having a feeling of accomplishment when I leave. I have had that this week.



Tonight is knit night at the LYS. I'll bring the sock, I think. I've done enough re-knitting on Bob's sweater and don't want to make a mistake on the patterned part of the front so that I have to rip again. I've memorized the sock pattern so even though I have counting to do, at least I won't have to watch a chart while knitting.

Have a great weekend.

No comments: