Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I just can't do it

I have resolved at least 4 times in the last 2 weeks that I will loose weight. I only want to loose 5-7 lbs. That's not unreasonable, but I can't stick with the program. Either I don't exercise several days in a row, or I eat snacks all day long. I know that part of my problem is that I was "good" for several days and I found that I had gained 3 lbs, but still. I should be able to do this. It's not an outside force telling me to loose, it's my decision. I just can't seem to leave the snack food alone. Grrrrr.

Knitting news - I have finally managed to knit far enough to join front and back of Bob's sweater! I do need to have him try it on again, though, before I go further. If there is a problem, the less I have to frog the better. : (

I have completed the thumb gusset on the first fingerless mitt, so I have another repeat or two and ribbing to go. Then it will be on to the second mitt. I hope I recorded the changes I made to the ribbing correctly..... 
I am knitting along on the lace scarf in  

in the Purple Mountain colorway, taking my time and enjoying it. It is a nice break from the cotton sweater - totally different feel and tension. I don't mind either project, I just can't knit on either one exclusively.

I have to think about vacation knitting soon. I will work on Bob's sweater, but what else should I bring? I usually bring a sock because of the portability. There are several I could choose from, but I just joined a Ravelry group called Sock Knitters Anonymous, and they have a sub group (Sockdown) going that calls for knitters to challenge themselves. You knit a pair of socks/month, according to the schedule they have posted, but you have choices all the way. For instance, in September, you should choose to knit either an orange sock, a Cookie A design or a mystery sock that someone has designed for the group. What you choose should challenge you in some way. I like the idea of making myself try new things, and this sounds like a fun way to do it. There are prizes for those who complete the challenge, and if I win that would be great, but my push will be to learn something new. If I can't keep up, so be it. Soooo, the point of all that is that I might choose to work on a sock for that challenge,and I need to decide whether I want to do the Cookie A design or the mystery sock.

I will bring the lace scarf, and I might shop in my stash (or LYS if that's unsuccessful) for yarn for a felted bag. Felted bag knitting is great for boating - it's basically knit round and round and can be done in the dark and/or on a rocking boat. It's also a warm project sitting on my lap, and on the water at night in September, I can use the warmth. The other projects will be for daytime knitting. I will also have my drop spindle along and plan to finish the last of the fiber I have been working on. I hope to ply it and start on some new fiber, but that decision is still pending.

Bob is making remarkable progress on the boat re-do. He has serious hopes that we will take it, transom intact, to get the motor replaced by the beginning of next week. Boy, will that be a relief! What was once a hole












with holes in it












has been filled in with 3 layers of plywood









and covered with the original *skin* that was on the transom at the start












Now we wait for this *glue* to dry (the "skin" of the transom has been glued on and to hold it in place, DH has clamped and screwed boards to put pressure on the skin). Then more grinding happens (I am *so* glad this is his job!) and the gaps are filled in. Somehow. Waterproofing, too. Good thing, that waterproofing. gulp.

I have been noticing that the leaves are starting to turn fall colors, it's cool enough in the evening to wear a sweatshirt (outside) and the veggies in the garden are dying off. Boo Hoo. I could definitely go for more summer. I can't believe it's almost Labor Day Weekend! This summer flew past.



No comments: