Saturday, April 07, 2012

I am alive. Truly

I just get busy and run out of time at the end of the day to post. I've been getting up at 5 AM for work, so bedtime is 10 PM. When you finish dinner and dishes at 8 PM, that doesn't leave a lot of time.

I have been knitting on the test knit shawl for Erica almost exclusively in order to not be late with completion. I have settled into a rhythm with the increases, so even though the rows are long, they are going faster than in the earlier phases. Pretty soon I will be at the last increase section, then just a bit more knitting and it will be time for the lace edge.

Masham - the spinners study group on Ravelry is studying Masham this month. I had some that I had purchased a while ago and started spindle spinning it. I decided to try spinning the rest on the wheel and did that yesterday. It was a dream to spin, easy to draft, smooth and soft in my hands.

 It has a nice halo to it when spun, though I think that halo is what accounts for the prickle factor it has. I had planned to use it for mitts though I had planned to make the cuffs with something softer because my wrists are very sensitive to the prickle factor.
 All of those plans are over now. I was winding it into a center pull ball for plying purposes. The partially wound ball flew off the ball winder and never recovered. I tried to ply it but was beaten into submission by the tangles of singles. When I did manage to get some untangled, the singles drifted apart. Bummer. I really liked that stuff.  Sigh.


I finished plying my beautiful laceweight yarn, skeined and washed it. It's hanging in the basement drying. I think it was worth the work and the wait. ; )


 It looks even better now that I have washed it and it dried nicely. It seems to be perfectly balanced and evenly spun and plied. I am so psyched! This might just get entered in some fairs this year.

The garden is planted - at least most of it. I plan some sequential plantings of the corn and green beans, so I left room for that in the garden. No more freezes, please, Mother Nature.

1 comment:

EGunn said...

Oh, dear. That is a tangle! I've had a few of those, and it really is usually better to cut your losses rather than fight with an energized single. Too bad; it looks like lovely stuff! It looks like the laceweight came out beautifully, though. Any plans yet for what you'll do with it?